Kidding season is almost here! No, this isn’t when everyone says something stupid and then declares, ” I was just kidding!”. This is the time of year when my goats give birth. I only have a due date on one and she is due a week and a half, so really things could get busy pretty quick! My other two could be anytime. When I was still at home with my parents we would use a baby monitor to help keep track of the goats. Grunting was always a good sign you better get your boots on quick! I may resort to the baby monitor this year since I have a yearling doe. They are more likely to have trouble their first time and it is nice to be there, just in case. Yearlings also can be a bit stupid about taking care of their babies. Some may forget to lick the bag off their kid’s face, step on the kid, or not let them nurse. ( I have met a few first time moms with this problem, too. Not knowing how to take care of their baby-not stepping on them! 😉 ) It is fun to see the new kids, to check if it is a buck(boy) or doe(girl), help them find the food source, and to snuggle them.
I will leave you with a few goat facts:
- A goat will usually have 1-3 young per birth. (it can be more, though!)
- The average gestation (pregnancy) is 150 days.
- The most common dairy breeds are Alpine, Saanan, Nubian and LaMancha goats.
- A dairy goat averages 6-8lbs of milk a day or 3-4 quarts.
- Their lifespan is 8-12 years.
- Goat meat is called “chevon”.
- The word “goat” is found in the Bible 132 times and “kid” is found 51 times.
- Scapegoat is a biblical term!
And he shall take the two goats, and present them before the LORD at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.
And Aaron shall cast lots upon the two goats; one lot for the LORD, and the other lot for the scapegoat.
And Aaron shall bring the goat upon which the LORD’S lot fell, and offer him for a sin offering.
But the goat, on which the lot fell to be the scapegoat, shall be presented alive before the LORD, to make an atonement with him, and to let him go for a scapegoat into the wilderness.